Thursday 19 May 2016

Language and Diabetes - Wednesday 5/18

Diabetes Blog Week
Topic:
There is an old saying that states “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me”. I'm willing to bet we've all disagreed with this at some point, and especially when it comes to diabetes. Many advocate for the importance of using non-stigmatizing, inclusive and non-judgmental language when speaking about or to people with diabetes. For some, they don't care, others care passionately. Where do you stand when it comes to “person with diabetes” versus “diabetic”, or “checking” blood sugar versus “testing”, or any of the tons of other examples? Let's explore the power of words, but please remember to keep things respectful.

I am a day late on posting- I had a busy day yesterday waiting on the arrival of my first niece! Who made her way into the world at 2:10am this morning! So I am also exhausted today A- because I had maybe 3 hours of sleep and B- because I am on 3 hours of sleep and pregnant.

Todays topic is a bit tricky for me- I have blogged about feeling hurt by the stigma that comes along with be diabetic, I am not sure if its the words that affect me but more the tone in which they are said.
I am sure most comments are made with the right intent but at the same time sometimes we should think twice before speaking. For example because I am diabetic I have been told by many that I will have larger baby. Fair enough that yes research shows that's the case- but tight control helps prevent that- which I am working my ass of to do with the help of my amazing health care team. So when we first announced we were expecting, the comments started- Your so much bigger then I was when I was at your stage.... Omg! are you sure your not having twins?.... wow your getting so big?- what did people expect me to say- this was mostly happening at work and it got to the point where even my boss was making comments which started to make me feel very uncomfortable. It could have had something to do with pregnancy hormone's but it upset me to the point where I said something. I felt much better I did- because now the have stopped minus one or two people who clearly just need to be ignored. 

I know not so much diabetes related but for me I found it very hurtful because here I am dealing with diabetes and pregnancy and trying to prevent a large baby and all I was hearing was how big I am! I am over it now because up till this point I have been measuring perfectly on track and I am very happy with my accomplishments and that's what matters most- a happy healthy baby regardless of size.

No comments:

Post a Comment