Wednesday 5 August 2015

My pancreas runs on AAA batteries!


Diabetes.. --- LOL that's how I feel when my blood sugars are between 80 and 120 LOL


As most of my family and friends know I made the switch from needles to the pump back in June, but what they don't know is now its truly created a quality of life I never expected after being diagnosed back in 2008.

Back in December I decided to get my life back and control my illness and not let it control me.
I was terrified to do my first A1C test is over a year a half because I knew how bad it was going to be and how hard the doctors would be on me for not taking care of myself. For those who do not know an A1C test is a common blood test used to show how well you're managing your diabetes. It's basically a test to see what you average blood sugar if over the past 3 months.

The first doctor I seen at the clinic I am going to was awful and yes my A1C was very high at 9.9%, but I do not feel that was any reason to tell someone that pregnancy was not on option and that I would have to conceder abortion when I didn't even say anything about trying to or wanting to get pregnant. Then I meet Laura the RD I see at the clinic who has really helped guide me in the right direction. She offered for me switch doctors and I do so. I am so happy with the support system I have the LMC clinic. I did my second A1C test in April and the results were 8.3% must better than 9.9% but not exactly something to celebrate. Then the decision was made to make the switch to the pump which meant I would need to do one more A1C test the following month with hopes for better results, and that's exactly what I go 7.6% which was a number I had never seen and when Laura told me the results I think she was just as happy as I was which was seriously exactly what I needed!

After being on the pump for just over a month I had a follow up appointment with my endocrinologist and got the best news of all my A1C was 7.1% something I never thought possible. I can not tell you how hard I worked to achieve this goal and will continue to work to make sure I maintain and A1C below 7% (the goal for all Type 1 Diabetics).

The feeling of achieving a good A1C result is unbelievable.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment